- The Motability Scheme can support people to increase their independence accessing their community.
- It enables people with a disability to use their government-funded mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair every three years, or a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) every five years.
- Practitioners play a key role in making people aware of how the scheme may help them achieve their goals and increase their independence.
July 2019: Section 2, Motability Car Leases and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles and Section 3, Motability Scooter and Powered Wheelchair Leases have been updated.
The Motability Scheme is a simple method of leasing a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. The scheme enables disabled people to use their government-funded mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair every three years, or a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) every five years.
The scheme is available to anyone who receives one of the following and has at least 12 months’ award remaining:
- the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA);
- the Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP);
- the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS);
- the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
2. Motability Car Leases and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
A standard Motability car lease can be taken out for three years and is a regular car that is available through the scheme.
A Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) lease can be taken out for up to five years and is a vehicle that enables a disabled person to travel as a passenger whilst seated in their wheelchair. Other vehicles that allow the disabled person to drive from their wheelchair are also available, which enable people to drive without needing to transfer to a seat.
Every lease includes:
- servicing and maintenance;
- full breakdown assistance;
- replacement tyres and batteries.
Leasing a car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) will also cover:
- 20,000 mileage allowance per year of lease;
- window and windscreen repair or replacement;
- a choice of adaptations, many at no extra cost.
Vehicles are available at a number of different costs, some of which are lower than the weekly allowance, but with some more expensive cars an additional payment, known as the Advance Payment, will be needed to cover the cost of the lease.
Adaptions to vehicles are also available through the Motability Scheme in order to support a person’s needs as effectively as possible, as well as providing them with a high level of safety and comfort. Adaptions include:
- vehicle access;
- equipment loading;
- driving adaptations.
3. Motability Scooter and Powered Wheelchair Leases
A scooter or powered wheelchair can be leased for three years, with some powered wheelchairs able to be leased for five years. Included with the wheelchair and lease are:
- a new scooter or powered wheelchair of the person’s choice every three years;
- help from specialist dealers;
- breakdown assistance from Motability Assist;
- replacement batteries and tyres;
- servicing, maintenance and repairs;
- insurance equivalent to fully comprehensive cover;
- weatherproof storage cover for when the product is not being used.