December 2018: This chapter was revised throughout as a result of local review.

1. Older People and Physical Disability Teams

Adult Care Older People and Physical Disability Team locality boundaries are determined by customers’ postcodes. The system uses the first section of the postcode and the first digit of the second section.

Care should be taken with people living on the county border, as this convention does not always ‘respect’ county boundaries and the postcode list is not designed to determine whether the person is a Lincolnshire resident or not. It is necessary to determine whether the person is resident in Lincolnshire prior to using the list, i.e. to which District Council do they pay Council tax, and then use the postcode list to determine which Lincolnshire Team is responsible for the case. As an example, a Lincolnshire resident with NG23 5** will be the responsibility of Grantham and a Lincolnshire resident with NG23 7** will be a Lincoln South / Hykeham case.

The postcode list is stored in the Adult Care Performance section on Lincolnshire County Council’s intranet.

2. Learning Disability Teams

Learning Disability Team boundaries are detailed in the postcode list, which is stored in the Adult Care Performance section on Lincolnshire County Council’s intranet. The boundaries for Learning Disability Teams are aligned to Lincolnshire’s ward boundaries, as follows:

  • Grantham  / Stamford and Bourne – covering all South Kesteven District wards;
  • Sleaford / Spalding – covering all South Holland District and Southern wards of North Kesteven District;
  • Lincoln / Hykeham – covering Lincoln City and northern wards of North Kesteven District;
  • West Lindsey – covering all West Lindsey District wards;
  • Boston / Skegness – covering Boston Borough and south eastern wards of East Lindsey;
  • Louth – covering north and western wards of East Lindsey.

The Intake Team covers the whole county and is responsible for initial work with new customers coming into the Learning Disability Teams.

3. Notifying before Moving

In any of these circumstances, the person (or someone on their behalf) must tell the local authority where they plan to move (the ‘second authority’) of their intentions.

After the second authority has been informed, and it is satisfied that the intention to move is genuine, it must inform the ‘first authority’. The ‘first authority’ is the local authority where the person is currently living, or which is responsible for their care and support at that time.

The second authority may take steps to make sure that the person wants to move to their area, for instance, by speaking to them about their intentions.

At this stage, both authorities should identify a named staff member to lead on the case and be the ongoing contact during the move.

It is essential to provide information and advice about what support is available so that the person can make an informed decision.

4. Sharing Information

When the first authority is informed that the person is moving, it must do a number of things:

  • It must provide a copy of the person’s care and support plan, so the second local authority knows what the person’s needs are;
  • It must also provide any other information requested by the second authority, such as their needs assessment or financial assessment.

If the person has a carer who will continue to care for them after the move, the first authority must also provide a copy of the carer’s support plan.

When it receives this information, the second authority must carry out its own assessment of the person’s needs. If a carer is moving with the person, the second authority must also assess the needs of the carer.

Both assessments can take place before the person moves to the new area, to help ensure that the right care and support is in place when they arrive.

People’s needs may change when they move home. For instance, if they are nearer to family, they may have more sources of support. Alternatively, being in a new place may mean that they have new needs. It is important that the new local authority assesses them, so that the person receives the right care and support for their needs.

If the second authority finds any needs which are different to those identified by the first authority (and in the care and support plan or most recent assessment provided), it must explain in writing why that is the case.

The first authority must keep in contact with the second authority to keep track of progress on putting services in place, and it must keep the person informed about the contact and involve them in this part of the process.

5. Day of Arrival

The above assessments should mean the second authority will know about the person’s needs before they arrive, and will have services in place for the day of the move.

If on the day of the move the second authority has not carried out the assessments, for example because it wants to assess the person in their new home, or if they have not yet put in place care and support, then the ‘continuity duty’ is triggered.

This requires the second authority to meet any of the needs that were being met by the previous (first) authority, from the day that the person arrives in the new area. (This also applies to the needs of any carer who will continue to care for the person after the move.) The second authority will use the information shared in the care and support plan or recent assessment to decide what services to put in place to meet those needs.

The continuity duty continues until the second authority has carried out its own assessment and put in place all necessary care and support on the basis of that assessment. This should ensure the person does not experience any gap in their care.

Guidance on Continuity of Care can be found in Chapter 20, Care and Support Statutory Guidance.